Neurosurgery is a sector of surgery that deals mainly with surgical interventions for diseases of the brain, spinal cord, and, in general, central and peripheral nervous system.
At the Villa Margherita operating block, a room, equipped with all the necessary requirements, is specifically dedicated to neurosurgical interventions with specific instruments and spaces necessary for the team.
The pathologies that generally require neurosurgical treatment are:
- Erniation of intervertebral discs
- Spinal canal stenosis
- Head trauma (brain haematomas, cranial fractures, etc.)
- Spinal trauma, vertebral fractures. Spinal cord compression from hematomas or bone fragments or traumatic disc hernias
- Brain tumours and tumours of the central and peripheral nerves
- Cerebral aneurysm and other vascular malformations of the central nervous system
- Some forms of cerebral hemorrhage, such as subarachnoid hemorrhage, or intraparenchymal, intraventricular and subdural hematoma
- Some forms of drug-resistant epilepsy
- Nervous system malformations
- Vascular malformations of the brain and spinal cord.